Browse books via Maxis [New Straits Time (Malaysia)]
(New Straits Time (Malaysia) Via Acquire Media NewsEdge) KUALA LUMPUR: Maxis Bhd, the country's biggest mobile operator, launched its maiden digital books (ebooks) service to tap into the growth potential of the tablet computer industry.
Sales of tablet computers like Apple iPad and Samsung Galaxy Tab grew by 500 per cent in the fourth quarter of last year to 260,000 units.
Last year, tablet sales reached nearly 656,000 units, GfK data revealed.
Another research report by IDC highlighted that sales of tablet in Asia Pacific will grow by 10-fold to 21 million units in 2015 from two million units in 2010, representing an annual growth rate of 56 per cent.
"Maxis has recognised the shift towards digital content and with the launch of Maxis ebooks, we are looking at providing local readers with the hassle-free experience of browsing, purchasing and reading their favourite local and international books on their tablets or PCs," said T. Kugan, Maxis vice-president and head of product, device, innovation and roaming.
About 31 per cent of Maxis subscribers use devices like smart phones and tablet computers.
The service is also expected to help the company grow its revenue, as Maxis takes a cut from the ebook purchases.
"It will help us get in more as customers, instead of buying books from the bookshop, can now buy them via their tablet computers. It will also increase the stickiness of the brand," said Kugan.
While the exact amount Maxis will be getting was not revealed, it is understood that 70 per cent of the sale will go to the publishers. The remaining 30 per cent may be shared with its other technology partners.
With the Maxis ebooks service, customers can buy their favourite ebooks via their tablet computers seamlessly. The purchases will be reflected in customers' Maxis bills or deducted from their Hotlink accounts.
There are some 300,000 international and local ebooks from over 40 categories on the shelves, with the price ranging from RM8 to RM99.
Although some of these ebooks may cost more than other ebooks providers, the company said the ebooks were generally cheaper than what are being offered at local bookstores.
(c) 2012 ProQuest Information and Learning Company; All Rights Reserved.
[ Back To SIP Trunking Home's Homepage ]